Famous dance quotes are available in many forms - from coffee table books to websites - and they are all capable of inspiring and motivating both those who dance and those who dream of dancing.
Embracing Famous Dance Quotes
Once you start reading, it's easy to fall in love with inspirational dance quotes. Especially if you are a dancer yourself, you will not find it difficult to embrace the wise and inspiring words of brilliant dancers and choreographers. Martha Graham and Paul Taylor are only two out of a long line of dancers who have had their spoken words documented as closely as their innovative onstage movements. A simple quote can reignite the passion of the dancer, which can easily burn out during a particularly intense round of rehearsals or a disappointing performance or competition. Dance quotes can also compel someone to put on dancing shoes for the first time - the famous words of another inspire us to dream and try things we never would've attempted previously.
Finding Dance Quotes
There are countless websites in which you can find dance quotes. Buzzle.com is one such site, providing quotes that touch the heart and inspire us to dance. A sampling of what you will find includes:
- "Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order."- Samuel Beckett
- "The one thing that can solve most of our problems is dancing"-James Brown
This website is exceptionally good for its wide range of quotables - everyone from the famous George Balanchine (of Nutcracker fame) to comedian George Carlin has entries on this page.
DanceHelp.com is another wonderful site. If you are a dancer yourself, be sure to check out the other useful content beyond the quotes page while visiting.
Some quotes found on DanceHelp include:
- "The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music. Bodies never lie." - Agnes DeMille
- "Dancing can reveal all the mystery music conceals" - Charles Baudelaire
- "Basic dance--and I should qualify the word basic--is primarily concerned with motion. So immediately you will say but the basketball player is concerned with motion. That is so--but he is not concerned with it primarily. His action is a means towards an end beyond motion. In basic dance the motion is its own end--that is, it is concerned with nothing beyond itself." - Alwin Nikolais
- "We're fools whether or not we dance, so we might as well dance." - Japanese Proverb
- "There are shortcuts to happiness - dance is one of them." - Baum
Other sites worth visiting include:
Uses for Dance Quotes
Some dancers like to keep a scrapbook full of quotes they find through the years. You could place these next to photos of your favorite dance shows and friends, or you can simply jot them down in a notebook if you are not inclined towards visual art. Quotes can also be purchased on posters that can be hung in a dance studio for encouragement and motivation. You can also print or write out quotes and stick them to mirrors, a car dashboard, a nightstand - anywhere they will be read and jumpstart creativity and thought.
You can also use famous dance quotes as part of a gift. Perhaps you would like to get a picture frame engraved as a present for a dance friend, or make a scrapbook for a family member who loves to dance. You can also make everything from computer desktop wallpaper to homemade collages with dance quotes interwoven throughout. The possibilities are endless when it comes to quotes and gift giving. Some other ideas include:
- A quote written on a gift tag
- A favorite quote printed onto canvas or painted onto a wall hanging
- A book of quotes personalized to a special dancer in your life
- A Christmas ornament with a quote written or stitched onto it
- Powerful words embroidered onto a dance bag, jacket or sweatshirt
- A homemade bookmark
Get crafty and creative, and you can find dozens of ways to work dance quotes into a gift for a loved one. The rich words of artists who have gone before us can lead the way for future generations who will continue to push the boundaries and passions of dance.